Native American Culture

This week we focused on the Native American culture. Before this week I thought that most Native Americans were in bad health, alcoholic, and living off of government money. This week I became very educated and gained more respect for the culture. I focused a lot of my learned on their general problems with healthcare. Native Americans have a much higher infant mortality rate than the general population. They also have one of the highest smoking rates among pregnant mothers. Most of the healthcare problems they experience are related to obesity and lack of physical activity. The leading causes of death are heart disease, cancer, and unintentional injury. Suicide rates among Native Americans are also high and might be related to the high rates of mental disorders and disabilities in the culture. When I am a nurse, it will be important for me to communicate with this culture. Most of the healthcare problems being experienced haven’t been in their culture very long so education will also be very important.