Hiring Interview

Interview with Bailee Thackeray, Supervisor at UVU Dining Services

1. What is a major red flag you see in interviews that you will absolutely not hire the person? I don’t like when people are late to the interview. I don’t like when people don’t shake my hand or dress up for the interview either. 
  2. What type of interview process gives you the most comprehensive view of a potential employee? I prefer to do one-on-one interviews. I get to know the person more personally.
  3. Do you prefer one-on-one interviews or group interviews? Why? I’ve only ever done one-on-one interviews. I’ve thought of having other employees meet and talk with the interviewees but have never actually tried it. 
  4. Are qualifications alone enough for you to hire an individual, or do you take into consideration how the person fits in with the culture of your workplace? There aren’t a lot of qualifications involved with this job, so culture plays a large role in who I hire. If the employees don’t work well together it makes work miserable for everyone. 
  5. What are your thoughts on hiring friends and family members? I have hired friends and family members but they were employees already working in other departments. I would hire them as new employees if they were they most qualified person for the job out of everyone I interviewed. 
  6. Other than required skills and qualifications, what do you look for in a potential employee? I like people that are hard workers, detail oriented, and work well with others. Those people are easier to supervise and their coworkers like them. 
  7. Do you appreciate when interviewees bring portfolios?  Why or why not? I don’t think that it is necessary because this job isn’t that specialized. I do like when people bring a copy of their resume though. I can read over the read of the application material prior to the interview and take notes.
  8. How important is the appearance of the resume? As long as it is easy to read and doesn’t have any typos I’m fine with any resume. I do want it to look professional though. 
  9. Do you check references thoroughly once an interview has been completed? Why or why not? I do check work references if they are available. Lots of my employees have only worked in other countries prior to this job so it’s really difficult to get in contact with their previous employers. I don’t like to use personal references because they are biased. 
  10. What is the single most important quality in an interviewee that you feel is the biggest predictor of job success? I think they have to be motivated. The people who don’t take this job seriously are the worst employees. They need to be motivated to do their best work, be on time, and solve problems. If they can do that they usually get promoted pretty quickly. 
  11. When considering an employee who does not have any experience in the field, but has a four year degree relating to the field, compared to someone who does have four years experience in the field, but no formal education, which candidate do you feel would be more successful and would most likely be the better candidate to hire? People don’t require a degree for this occupation. However, I do prefer to hire people with previous customer service and technology experience. I also like to hire people from other departments. People with previous experience are easier to train and already have an idea about how things work. That being said, I do like to hire new people if I think their personality will work with the other employees. 
  12. Are there key phrases that you look for in letters of recommendation? I don’t receive a lot of recommendation letters, but when I do I like to see that the person is trustworthy and dependable. 
  13. What are some questions you like to ask during interviews? I usually ask the person to tell me a little bit about themselves at the beginning. I’ll usually ask them about how they would handle a difficult customer or coworker. Sometimes I ask about why they want this job.

Response:

I thought that conducting this interview was very beneficial. Even though I interviewed someone who hires college students, it was still nice to see good qualities in employees. I think that hiring people with a good work ethic is a must in all positions. I thought it was interesting that other fields prefer people with prior work experience even though it’s not a job requirement. I’m glad that interview etiquette was also mentioned.