Hiring Interview

Interview with Bailee Thackeray, Supervisor at UVU Dining Services.

1. What do you look for in a resume- to decide whether you will interview that person or not? I look for job experience, skills related to the job, and if their schedule will fit the needs of the job. I also look to see if the resume is well formatted and without errors.
  2. What are the top 3 character traits you look for in future employees? I look for people who are trustworthy, dependable, and motivated. 
  3. What is the hardest part of the hiring process for you, and why? The hardest part of the process for me is weeding through candidates to find people who I actually want to interview. 
  4. Do you prefer one on one interviews or group interviews? I’ve only ever done one-on-one interviews. I’ve thought of having other employees meet and talk with the interviewees but have never actually tried it.
  5. Do you have key phrases that you look for in letters of recommendation? I don’t receive a lot of recommendation letters, but when I do I like to see that the person is trustworthy and dependable.
  6. What are some red flags you watch for while conducting interviews with possible employees? I watch to see if people are late to the interview. People need to be punctual with this job and being late is not acceptable. Many of the people that apply for these jobs are international students and English is their second language. I watch to see if customers and coworkers will be able to communicate well with them. 
  7. Do you use the same type of questions with every candidate, or are the questions led by their answers? I usually ask the person to tell me a little bit about themselves at the beginning. I’ll usually ask them about how they would handle a difficult customer or coworker. Sometimes I ask about why they want this job.
  8. What prejudices do you have that make it harder to be fair to all the candidates? How do you avoid letting this impact your decision? Ageism is something that I have to watch for. Younger students that are more familiar with technology do better at learning and running the register based on my past experience. I try to avoid this prejudice by being objective about their resume and interview and recognizing that I have this prejudice. Age is not an appropriate reason to not hire someone.
  9. How do you feel about hiring friends or family? I have hired friends and family members but they were employees already working in other departments. I would hire them as new employees only if they were the most qualified person for the job out of everyone I interviewed.
  10. Do you like when candidates bring portfolios? Why or why not? I don’t think that it is necessary because this job isn’t that specialized. I do like when people bring a copy of their resume though. I can read over the application material prior to the interview and take notes. 
  11. Do you approach interviews for different positions in a different way? Can you give an example? Like I mentioned before, the jobs I hire for are not very specialized. Many of the employees cross train to different positions very quickly. When interviewing international students I have to ensure that they have a work permit already. If I am hiring a driver I have to make sure that they have a current and valid driver’s license. 

Response:

I thought that conducting this interview was very beneficial. Even though I interviewed someone who hires college students, it was still nice to see good qualities in employees. I think that hiring people with a good work ethic is a must in all positions. I thought it was interesting to hear about how interviews outside of healthcare are performed. It was also interesting to hear about someone else’s prejudices and how they overcome them when hiring.