Performance Appraisal Interview

This interview was conducted with Shandel Hall, a manger at Enterprise.

1. Do you help the employees set goals to improve themselves before the next performance appraisal? If so, what are some common goals that are chosen? 

We set more goals as a team. For example, customer satisfaction is something that we are always seeking to improve. Many of the employees here are already part of our leadership program and have their own personal goals based off that program.

2. How do you tell your employees to prepare for performance appraisals?

We have our employees complete self-evaluation prior to performance appraisals. The mangers also fill out evaluations and these are both discussed with the employee.

3. How do you help employees feel comfortable (and not like they are in trouble for something) during their performance appraisals?

I think it’s important to build a strong relationship with the employees prior to the appraisals. They are more receptive to feedback and trust what you have to say.

4. What are some of the phrases and questions you use to invite change? Which types of phrases or wording to you avoid?

I always avoid the word failure. That is a harsh word that just bums employees out. I like to use the phrase “room for improvement.” This comes across in a more positive way that the employees respond well to. 

5. How do you stay consistent with your performance appraisals with each employee?

Prior to appraisals I pick three questions that I ask all employees. We also have a scale that helps use determine how to rate our employees while doing the manager evaluations. The scale helps us to stay consistent in our ratings. 

6. How do you work with employees that have scored unsatisfactory for multiple evaluations?

I haven’t encountered this problem yet, but I think that it might be necessary to set some goals and deadlines wit this employee and let them know that improvement is expected. If poor performance has been documented for multiple evaluations it might be necessary to terminate this employee.

7. How do you explain to employees that feel they have excelled more than what they were scored as on the evaluation?

I bring a copy of our scale that we use to do evaluations. I explain my reasoning to the employee. If they disagree I let them defend their view. Our performance appraisals are documented electronically and sent by email. It’s possible for the employee to mark that they disagree with the appraisal and why.

8. Do you feel it is beneficial to gather peer reviews to include in the performance evaluations? Why or why not?

I haven’t personally done it, but I think that peer reviews would be a good idea. I would be curious to see how their co-workers rate working with them. This might be something that I use in future performance appraisals. 

9. Do you use a rating system (I.e. poor, below average, average, above average, exceptional) or just let employees know how you think they’re doing (I.e. I like your work in this area, you’re a good employee)?

We have a rating system to help keep ratings consistent.

10. Do you believe it is effective to use a rating system to give employee feedback? Why or why not?

I think that it is effective. It keeps the evaluations consistent and prevents bias. It gives me an outline as to how I should rate each employees performance.

11. How do you discipline those who are doing poorly? How many warnings do they get?

Employees can receive verbal or written warnings. An employee can receive one verbal warning and up to three written warnings before they are terminated. Two managers are always present when written warnings are being done. It’s important that correct documentation takes place to prevent any lawsuits. 

I enjoyed doing this interview. It was interesting to hear how other companies to their employee evaluations. I have only ever had evaluations done with Intermountain. It sounds like Enterprise’s evaluation system is pretty similar. I like the format that was described and I think that used a rating system is absolutely necessary in preventing bias and inconsistent ratings. I also liked the idea of peer evaluations. If I am ever in a management position I will be sure to use a rating system and peer evaluations in my performance appraisals.